Sunday, June 29, 2008

My baby's 4!!

I can't believe my baby boy is already 4 years old!! He had such a great time on his birthday. We do not have "birthday parties" every year for our kids. I qualify this because a family birthday party is already about 25 people. So, we only have friend parties on milestone birthdays (1,5,10,13,etc...). We have our own traditions to make birthdays a special day. First of all, the birthday boy/girl gets to choose all 3 meals for the day. Second, no chores for the day!! And thirdly, they just get treated extra special by everyone in the house.
So, to start our day off, we went to grandma and grandpa's for pancakes. My boy can put away pancakes like nobody's business.
After that, we had a normal Friday and swam all morning. This is one of Jordan's favorite things to do. In case you can't tell, he is doing a cannonball through the tube. He has now mastered the art of diving to the bottom of the pool for dive toys. He is a fish and loves every minute in the pool.After swimming, we headed to the mall to meet daddy for lunch. He wanted chicken fingers, so we got chick-fil-a. Here is another special treat my kids look forward to on their birthdays. ONLY on their birthdays, they are allowed to have a kid's meal from a restaurant. Any other day, they have water to drink and share food. So, this is a funny little thing that my kids always look forward to. So, we got our kid's meal and headed back to grandma's.
He had been telling me for the couple of days preceding his birthday that he wanted a boy's sleep over for his birthday. I normally would say no because that would constitute a friend party, but I made an exception. See, Jordan is also the only boy in our family and only has girl cousins his age. He sees the girls have sleepovers on a regular basis and is always jealous. So, we decided to bend the rules a little. I told him he could ask 1 friend to spend the night, so Andon joined the party.Everybody took a nap (I knew they would be up late) and then we had spaghetti for dinner.
We followed dinner with cake (of course, a baseball cake) and ice cream. His favorite present was the scavenger hunt his uncle Chris put together that led to his present (not the actual present, but the clues).Finally, we headed home and put a movie on for the kids at 8:30. The movie didn't end until after 10 and we headed to bed. At about 10:30, I put the boys to bed (in the same bed). By 11:30, I had told them to stop talking about 20 times and there didn't seem to be any end in sight. So, just before midnight, I finally had to separate the chatty duo. Within 5 minutes, they were asleep. But, don't you worry. They got just enough sleep to be up at about 7 a.m.!! They don't understand the concept of Saturday sleeping in. Oh well. They had a great time and Jordan loved every minute of his birthday.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the picture of the 3 of them jumping in, it's like it captures a period in their life that can never be redone...i think I am going to frame it!



Happy birthday Jordan!

Jen said...

What a fun birthday! Really with all the fun stuff going on you don't need a party anyway. Andon had so much fun sleeping over. Don't you love that they are getting old enough to do that. Guess I got to get over it and not miss him so much when he leaves! :)

Happy 4th Birthday Jordan!!

Homeschoolin' hot-rodders said...

OH how funny! If I didnt know any better I would say that Jordan and Maddie were twins LOL. Their birthdays are only 3 days apart and my Maddie would LIVE on pancakes if you would let her (we too let them pick the meals on their birthday....we had pancakes for breakfast and dinner LOL) and she also decided to spend the day swimming! Too funny!

Angela

Anonymous said...

What a fun day!! I thought it was so sweet and funny that I kept running into everyone at the mall then hearing it was Jordan's birthday lunch!! How awesome that little man is loved so much! He must have felt so special!

Stacy Ann said...

How cute!!! Looks like he had a very special day! We did the same thing growing up, had special parties on the "big" b-days. It was so fun getting to pick meals and get treated extra special by everyone else. I'm sure he'll have happy memories of these years.

http://web.mac.com/smerkin83/Site/Blog/Blog.html

Kelly said...

Happy birthday Jordan! Looks like he had a great day! I love your family birthday traditions!

Mom Knows Everything said...

Happy Birthday to you little fella! He has a gorgeous smile!

Largaespada Family said...

I have to say that I have one really cute nephew!!!!! I agree Tammy, he has such a great smile.

He's gonna break some hearts in years to come. Look out!!!

Jaime

Red said...

Wait unitl the get to 19 and finish homeschooling, then it will be time to bring out the hankies!

Anonymous said...

What a fun party day!! He is so cute! I loved the pictures! Christie

Andrea said...

WOW! Happy Birthday, Jordan!

I am so diggin' your cake! Very Cool!

Andrea

Sunday said...

Agh! Stupid car. So glad he had a great birthday day. So bummed we didn't get to spend it with him. Our boys are getting SO big, four shmore is what I have to say! j/k Love, Sun