Monday, December 17, 2007

Color Blind

My friend, Brandi, just adopted a little boy from Africa 1 week ago. As I said a couple posts back, we went over to their home a few days ago to introduce ourselves and meet Davis. He is 2 years old, but about the size of an 18 month old. Well, as Brandi and I sat there and chatted, I watched my 3rd born little girl vie for Davis' attention for a while. After many attempts without the response she was looking for, Brandi tried to explain to her why . She told Sydney that Davis is still getting used to all these new people. She also said that he is probably thinking, "what is up with all these white people." Sydney quickly responded with an indignant, "I'm not white!" Curious, we asked, "what color are you?". She said, "Well, sort of a orangeish/peachish." And then she looked at Davis and said, "He is sort of a brownish/darkish." Brandi and I both smiled at each other. As funny as it was to hear her explain the color of our skin, I loved the innocent, simplicity of it all.



She asked me why we were different colors and I explained to her how boring it would be if everyone was the same color. God is way too creative for that. She liked that answer and continued to play.


We were never intended to be color blind. We should love the variety of colors and shapes that God has put as humans on this earth.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I love that story! In fact, I already blogged it! I didn't see your kids names before, so I had to use code. . didn't know if you were one who didn't use names. . .

Love ya,
Bran

Anonymous said...

Love this story!