Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!!

I had a great Valentine's Day yesterday! In the morning, I went to the park with some friends and let our kids play and have cupcakes and brownies. We came home, did some school and played outside some more (the weather was gorgeous and is again today!!).
For the evening, my oldest brother offered to babysit. My brother is 36, single and has never babysat any child before. He offered to watch my 4 kids AND my other brother's 2. I told him he was crazy, but he said he was up for the challenge. Well, how I can I pass on an offer like that.
So, I started planning what Cory and I could do for the evening on a very tight budget. At first, I thought about cooking a nice dinner at home and having a "home date". Then, I remembered that I only spent $19 of my $50 grocery budget last week. I also don't think I will spend the $50 this week because there are not a lot of great deals again. So, we decided that we could actually use the extra $30 and go out to eat.
Don't be alarmed, we did not spend $30 on dinner! I looked at the local dollar theater to see what was playing and we planned to see the 7:00 p.m. showing of P.S. I Love You (I would give it a 3 out of 5 stars). Anyway, we had no intention of dressing up and waiting 2 hours for a table at a nice restaurant. So, for dinner we went to a restaurant called Five Guys. It's a burger joint. It's way better than fast food but you still order at the counter so you don't have to tip. That's my kind of restaurant. We were able to eat for $13. The total at the movie theater was $3 for both of us. It was a fun night out. Even though we didn't go to a fancy restaurant, it was still a splurge for us. We haven't gone out to eat in months!! We had planned on topping the night off with some Cold Stone (because I had a gift card) ice cream but they closed at 9 and we got there at 9:15 :(
Tonight we are going to a Chocolate Ball at our church. It is a night of dessert and dancing (with a professional dance instructor). I think it is going to be fun but I sure am not looking forward to putting on the one dress I own that doesn't fit so well right now. I'm sure there will be pictures to post later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cassie-

Too funny! Josh and I saw the same movie at our dollar movie! Great minds think alike!

Glad you got a night out!
Miss you-
Betsy

Largaespada Family said...

Well...I'm glad you got a night out, but I already know that "5 Guys" is great. I was needing to know if the Chicken Cordon Bleu is good! I guess I have to cook it myself to find out :)

Jaime

Sara at Miller Moments: said...

Sounds like you had a great night! We had fun at home with my surprise dinner for Kevin - and I got to figuring the cost of everything in my head, and it was probably around $20 for a very nice 4 course dinner at home. So fun! :)

Deborah in Atlanta said...

Okay, so my question is - how did the babysitting go? Did he do okay?

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

Deborah,

The babysitting went well. My brother survived. My dad was also there and was able to help my brother know what was ok and not (ya know, like when they say mom lets us eat 4 cookies before we go to bed :). But, my dad wanted to let my brother be in charge. My brother said that when you get all 6 of them together, things really escalate (duh!). I doubt he will be offering to keep all of them again. It's ok, it gives him a good perspective on what we do every day.

Donna(mom24boyz) said...

Wow, nice to have such an affordable theater near you. In my husband's hometown (about an hour 1/2 from where we live now) there is a theater that is the oldest in the State of WV. We always look at what's playing their when we visit. We once took 4 little boys, my husband, myself. We all got popcorn, drinks and each kid got a candybar too and the total was under $30!

The kids love sitting in the old nostalgic theater too.

Glad you and your husband had a nice night out--being together is always the best part!

Brandi said...

What a fun day!

Love ya!
Bran