Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Happy Birthday x Two!!

Today is the birthday of my husband and my 3rd born, Sydney. She was born on Cory's 27th birthday. It has been a lot of fun for them to have the same birthday. Even though they don't have a day just to themselves, there are advantages.
For example, tonight they went to dinner at Kobe's (they offer a free meal ON your birthday). So, the plan was for the 2 of them to go on a date and get 2 free meals and only have to pay for a tip. Well, it wasn't until they got there that they were told that the policy has changed. Now, the policy is 1 free meal with the purchase of another meal! Not great news for my birthday girl and guy. My hubby talked to the manager and was able to get Sydney's meal for free and a gift certificate for $15 off our next visit. He did have to pay for his meal though.
So, these 2 free birthday meals ended up costing $28 (after tax and tip)! Not exactly what we had planned.
On that note, grocery shopping is going to be very slim again this week. I went to Winn-Dixie and spent $24 and that will have to be it.
They did have a great time together and have the pictures to prove it...

I also have to share a little bit about earlier in the day. Let me explain a couple things. We don't do parties or real big deals for birthdays (except those milestone ones), but you do get some perks on your birthday at our home. The first is the privilege of no chores for the day. The second is the chance to pick all 3 meals of the day. The third is getting to spend the night at grandma and grandpa's all by yourself.
Well, my little girl spent the night last night so she had breakfast with them in the morning. They gave her the choice of going anywhere she wanted (Perkins, IHOP, etc...). Wanna know what she picked? Burger King.
Ok, on to lunch. I also need to clarify that birthdays are the one day a year that if we go out to eat, they are allowed to order a kid's meal. So, I call Sydney to ask what she would like to have for her birthday lunch and here is the phone call:
Me: "Sydney, what would you like to have for your birthday lunch? I can make you something special at home if you want (hoping that she would pick at home)"
Sydney: "Ummm... ya or we could go to Chick-Fil-A."
Me: "Ok, which one to you want?"
Sydney: "Ummmm.... Make me something special at home."
Me: "Ok. What do you want me to make?"
Sydney: "I don't know. Something Yummy."
Me: "Well, if you could choose your most favorite lunch, what would it be?"
Sydney: "Ummm.... Egg salad sandwich (pause).. with a pickle."
Me: (Trying to contain my amusement at the simple choice) "Ok, egg salad and a pickle. Anything else?"
Sydney: "Nope."

Sounded great to me! Do you think she realizes that she can have that choice about 3 days a week around here? I guess she likes to stick with what she knows. Since they ended up spending so much for dinner, I sure am glad we didn't go out for lunch.
Isn't she adorable?! I know she is 6 now, but she is still adorable!

5 comments:

Homeschoolin' hot-rodders said...

Thats too cool! Happy Birthday! Our kiddos are also close in age...my Noah will be 6 on Monday :)


Angela

Brandi said...

Happy Birthday!! She is such a special little thing! I can't believe it's been 6 years since she was born! Oh my!

Love you,
Bran

Anonymous said...

Oh I remeber the day she was born!! I was visiting my new neice Gracie in Oklahoma who turned 6 on the 28th of Jan. Came home to meet the precious little one! So hard to believe that was 6 years ago! What I remember more is how you were up and around like you had been through nothing I was amazed!

Barbara said...

How nice the two of them got to go out for dinner but unfortunate that they changed the rules about birthdays. Happy birthday to both of them.

lifelaughterchaos said...

I finally can get to your blog again easily. For some reason, for about 3 weeks, my computer would crash everytime I tried to get on it!

We don't do a big birthday bash every year either...that is way overrated in our country!

I like your ideas though to celebrate...I think I will incorporate too!

Thanks!