Friday, February 13, 2009

Surgery

It has been a crazy week around here. 8 days ago my dad decided to finally go into the doctor after being sick (flu like symptoms) for over a couple of months. He got to the doctor and was sent immediately to the ER. After running a couple of tests and determining that nothing was extremely imminent, they waited another 4 hours for a room to be admitted.

By the next day, they were running lots of tests, doing a CT and MRI and what not. It didn't take long before they discovered a large mass in my dad's abdomen. They decided that surgery was necessary and scheduled him for Tuesday (3 days ago). As the doctor's talked throughout the next couple days, my parents realized that even though no one had said so, they were pretty sure they were going to find cancer.

All of sudden, the mood changed. We started to see that we were up against a large tumor and a dangerous surgery. The surgeon shared the different complications and difficulties they were anticipating. He said the surgery should last about 4 hours.

So, I had some great friends and family offer to stay with my kids so that I could spend the day at the hospital. I was prepared for a long and anxious day. I brought some cards, a book and my journal.

I got there around 12:30 and he was just being taken back to the OR. Around 1:30, we got a call from the surgeon that the anesthesia had taken effect and they were ready to begin. We all settled in for a long afternoon.

At 2:30 (only 1 hour into the surgery), our name was called and the surgeon was standing in the doorway. Everyone's heart skipped a beat until we heard the words we were not expecting, "We're done." What? Yep, all done and headed to recovery. Now we are all in a state of shock. So, my mom and brother and I head into a room with the surgeon to hear how everything went.

He said that things went way better than expected and that none of the complications they expected came about. He said that the tumor came out easily and they think they got it all. He said that he is almost sure that we are looking at is lymphoma.  They believe it is the type that is slow moving and non-aggressive.  It was such a roller coaster of emotions and I'm sure there will be more coming.

Right now, my dad is recovering in the hospital and waiting to hear the pathology report (to know for sure what kind of cancer) and to talk to the oncologist to determine what the future treatment will be.

We know the Lord is in complete control of everything and has already shown His hand through this process.  Thank you Lord for your protection over my dad during the surgery and for preparing this tumor to be removed so easily.  

16 comments:

Dearest Jessica said...

Such an amazing blessing! Can't wait until he is up and around again!

Anonymous said...

Oh Cassie - that is so great to hear! We have been praying for him too - we will continue to be prayer warriors!

Jackie

Largaespada Family said...

I love to God at work! We are still praying for more good news. Love ya!

Dr. Mom said...

I am glad his surgery went better than expected. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Brittani said...

We will be praying for the recovery. Please keep us updated. We love your family so very much & we trust that God is in complete control. I am sorry that you have to go through all of this right now. We love you

nate and liz said...

Reminds me of Dave! I had no idea he was having surgery! Let your dad know we are praying for his recovery! much luv, liz

Betsy said...

Cassie-

Val has been keeping me in the loop! I am so gald to hear it well have been praying and will continue to do so! Hug him and your mom for me!

Love you all-
Bets

Anonymous said...

In my thoughts and prayers!

Amie said...

stumbled onto your blog. I am sorry to hear about your dad, but glad that the surgery went well. A similar thing happenned to my MIL... so I know exactly what you are going through right now.

I will pray that this is done with, and he can move on living a life full of health.

btw- I see we have a blogger friend in common.. Andrea at Happy Hippy C... Love that girl!!!

And I am going to have to take the time to read your 50$ grocery bill post! that is somethin!

Thanks for letting me pop in. I will be praying!

Blessings!
:)
Amie

Ruth MacC said...

Tough times. Is your dad saved?

Andrea said...

Oh MY GOODNESS! I know that was so scary.
Praying for you girl and your family.
Hope the recovery is a fast one.

Andrea

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

Ruth,

Yes, my dad is saved. My parents are the ones who have completely taught me about Jesus and continue to do so. It's a great blessing!

Julie said...

Cassie,
Praying for you and your family!!!
Julie :)

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for your Dad, for you and your family during this time! Can't wait to hear wonderful reports on what God is doing :0)
Liz

Kari said...

I am so glad to hear your Dad's surgery went so well. Praise God! I will continue to pray for all of your family!

Flamingo said...

wow..i'm behind on blogging. what a scary situation! so glad to hear the situation went well!!! it makes you count your blessings doesn't it?